Saturday, May 19, 2007

Weekend T.R.U.




Greetings from the couch. Hope everyone is well. I just thought I would ramble a bit today about some different items around the world of sports. Please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email , or here. Look for my new articles at the Associated Content site as well.

Feel free to sign up but make sure to use my link on the right so I can get credit for the referral. Thanks for reading and away we go......




NBA Playoffs





I do not watch much of the NBA anymore. I was a huge fan growing up but they have lost me over the years as a hardcore fan. I still follow the scores and highlights but I can't watch a full game. I will elaborate on that in more detail at a later time. I wanted to comment on the Horry/Nash incident. The Suns are whining that they were punished unfairly and the Spurs gained an advantage when their player committed the flagrant foul. Well I agree to an extent. The rule states if you leave the bench to get involved in a fight you get a suspension. The 2 players, Stoudamire & Diaw, did leave the bench. After a few steps realized what they were doing and went back. They never approached a player from the other team to initiate an altercation. The NBA decided to suspend these players by using the old "letter of the law" excuse. I feel that they should have not been suspended because they did not violate the spirit of the law which is to keep players from leaving the bench to get involved in fights. This is in place for many reasons mainly to aid officials in restoring order quickly and to prevent serious injury to very highly paid athletes. So in one sense I agree with the Suns that the decision by the league probably cost them Game 5 of the series. On the other hand, the Suns had a chance last night to even the series and go back to their home court for a game 7. They were at full strength and the Spurs were the team that was down 1 player. What did they do? They couldn't even make it a close game. They instead spent the whole game complaining to the refs instead of worrying about winning the game on the court. The press conference was a sobfest as well still complaining how the league cost them the series. Get over it Nash. You had a chance last night to make it right and failed. I am so sick of hearing these guys blame others for their failures. Your are highly paid professionals. You are getting paid to play a game. Be a man and take your loss with class and dignity. The bottom line is you lost to the better team.
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10188124

NFL News
This is nuclear winter for my favorite sport. Not much going on so there is not much to report. I will be doing some articles for Associate Content previewing the upcoming season. I will also be doing an article on how to draft and build a winning fantasy football team. Since there is not much actual news to report there are stories being overblown as usual this time of year.




The big news out of Green Bay is Brett Favre is not happy they organizaion did not do more in free agency.


http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/GB/10187652

He is also not happy the team did not aquire the troublesome Randy Moss. It was even reported Brett asked for a trade which he is denying. This is not a big deal. Brett is getting old and cranky like the rest of us. He has done everything possible in his career. He is a 3 time MVP, Super Bowl winner, sure fire first ballot HOF'er, the object of a serious and disturbing man crush by John Madden. Now who wouldn't want all that. I think he gets the benefit of the doubt here. He has given his all to the Packers. Is is not too much to ask for them to spend a little money to help him out. Let's face it, Brett is not the player he used to be. Then again who is, we all get old and cranky. Just ask my wife. Bottom line, it's a slow news week and the networks need something to talk about.

In this weeks edition of same crap, different pile
A Bengal was arrested

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CIN/10187681

Ricky Williams failed a drug test

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIA/10176934

Michael Vick being told to grow up

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ATL/10176776

I grow weary of these thugs who think they are above the law just because they make alot of money and are famous. It is a shame that we spend most of our time talking about the criminals in sports when most of pro athletes are good people just like you and me. Unfortunately my love for football outweighs my disgust with the thugs so I will still watch.


Major League Baseball
Wake me when it is September. One quick statement though.

Don't blame Roger Clemens for his "unusual" contract perks. It is the Yankees fault for being so desperate for pitching they had no choice but to give in. Anyone of us would sign a deal like that in a New York minute (pun intended) if given the chance.

That's about all I have the energy for today. Look for my series of NFL previews as we go division by division and break down the upcoming season. What to look for fantasy wise on each team and predictions. Should be a hoot!!! Have a great weekend folks.